The impetus of a 4.0 strategy model for the digitalization of the industry leads to the modernization of a sector in which collaborative robots for the furniture sector have much to say. Today at Universal Robots, we show you how innovation and the most modern technology can help you thanks to tools such as robotic arms.
APPLICATIONS OF COLLABORATIVE ROBOTICS IN THE FURNITURE AND EQUIPMENT INDUSTRY
Collaborative robots can be used for many tasks in the production of materials such as all types of welding, palletizing, packaging, mixing of ingredients or cutting and joining materials, among many others. We will see in detail the main applications that cobots can develop in the furniture sector :
- Bonding and welding: the dispensing, bonding, and welding process is one of the most common in this industry. The robotic arm can dispense the exact amount of glue, always exert the same pressure, as well as perform many types of welding such as TIG, MIG, spot, arc, ultrasonic, or plasma. It will achieve with all this reduce not only production interruptions but also the amount of wasted material.
- Pick & place: collaborative robots are capable of running most pick & place applications autonomously. Also, they can repeat the same movement over and over again for hours with the same precision, and their repeatability is not comparable to that of a human person: +/- 0.03 mm. A perfect feature to automate high precision processes.
- Machinery supervision: with this application, you can free your workers from such a repetitive and dangerous task as machinery supervision. It will also improve the speed and quality of processes while reducing the risk of accidents.
- CNC: the supervision of the numerical control machine is another task that collaborative robots can perform in the furniture sector. Also, you can quickly reprogram a cobot for use with different devices and peripheral systems, such as a visual guide.
- Polishing, polishing, and sanding: these tasks require a particular delicacy to avoid damaging the product. Well, the robotic arms of Universal Robots guarantee the uniformity of these processes and also have a standard built-in force control that automatically adjusts its position to apply only the desired force.
BENEFITS OF COLLABORATIVE ROBOTS IN THE FURNITURE SECTOR
There are numerous benefits that collaborative robots have for both the furniture and equipment sector, especially to improve the quality of the product manufactured during the entire production process. What are some of the most prominent?
- They provide excellent levels of precision.
- They reduce the margin of error.
- They provide great flexibility. In this sense, it should be noted that the furniture industry is still very manual today, so the flexibility to manufacture individual products with the particularities of a piece of furniture is essential for its competitiveness.
- They can handle heavy parts, thus freeing workers from physical burdens.
- They guarantee the uniformity of products, with a better fit and finish that is done while increasing productivity.
- It reduces the risk of injury to its employees, both by the effort of repetitive movements and by the transport of heavy parts.
ROBOTIC SOLUTIONS PERFECT FOR THE FURNITURE AND EQUIPMENT INDUSTRY
But in addition to the applications that collaborative robots can make in the furniture sector, robotic solutions that make the most of their cobot are equally important. This way, you can find:
Universal Robots has a wide range of custom effectors for your cobot. This is the case of electric clamps, vacuum clamps, joint action clamps, welding pack, or hands, which are just a few examples of the 22 products available.
With all kinds of products to correctly execute different applications, such as cable glands, protective covers, tool changers, sensor packages, or essential guides among many others.
Within the Software solutions, you can find tools such as simulation modules and offline programming, independent URCaps plugins, or modules to integrate standard vision.
SUCCESS STORIES IN THE FURNITURE SECTOR
There are thousands of companies that already rely on the benefits and the latest technology of robotic arms, and the furniture and equipment industry is an excellent example of this.
- Gern Glas: This Danish company is one of the largest suppliers of flat glass and mirrors for the furniture, kitchen, and construction industries. The incorporation of collaborative robots – models UR5 and UR10 – not only translates into an effective way to load smaller pieces of glass on the conveyor belt for the high-tech tempering process but also helped to limit the work of entering parts in the machine.
- Assa Abloy Ro: the Romanian world leader in door opening solutions incorporated numerous cobots – UR3 and UR5 models – for applications that include welding, stamping, riveting, screwing, grinding and laying machines. The result is that it managed to increase quality, maintain competitiveness, and reduce manufacturing costs. Besides, it is estimated that the work performed by each robotic arm in the factory is equivalent to 10 human workers, in a place where there is an increasing shortage of labor.